Electricity powers our lives, and it's safe as
long as we treat it with respect. Always keep these tips in mind when using
- Always verify your appliances carry the
Underwriters Laboratories seal of approval.
- Never touch an appliance and a water
faucet at the same time.
- Never use any electrical appliance while
standing on a wet floor.
- Unplug any appliance that sparks, smokes
or suddenly stops running.
- Unplug appliances when not in use.
- Insert plastic plugs in unused outlets.
- Remove plugs from wall outlets by pulling
on the plug, not the cord.
- Inspect all electrical cords for wear or
broken insulation, especially near plugs.
- Never climb in trees or build tree houses
near overhead power lines.
- Don't fly kites or model airplanes near
overhead power lines.
- Never remove a kite or airplane that gets
entangled in overhead power lines, on a pole or in a tree near power
lines. Call LES PowerLine (1-888-365-2412) for removal.
- Teach kids to stay away from electric
utility facilities and not to climb fences around these facilities.
- If you are planning to dig in an area
that may have underground power lines, call Diggers Hotline (811 or
1-800-331-5666) so the location of the buried power lines can be marked
- Keep ladders, antennas, kites and poles
away from the power lines leading to the house.
- If a power line hits your car, stay
inside unless the car catches fire. Then, jump clear without touching
the car and ground at the same time.
In case of fire
- If an electrical fire starts at a wall
outlet, dial 911 to report the emergency. Give your address and tell
them it's an electrical fire.
- If the fire is small, use your home CO2
fire extinguisher. Never put water on an electrical fire.
- If you're in doubt, get out and take
everyone with you.
For more information...
- Kids! LES invites you to
hang out on our e-SMARTkids site. Becoming e-SMART means learning about
electricity and using it safely and wisely. Check out our games,
activities, experiments and more!
there now »*
* You will need Adobe® Flash® Player.
download for free »